Deaconess Nundu Hospital
Democratic Republic of Congo
Facing Congo Realities
- Nundu Deaconess Hospital is located in the South Kivu Province of Eastern Congo.
- Despite a period of war from 1996 to 2008, Deaconess Nundu Hospital (DNH) has continued to function under the leadership of national doctors.
- Political and civil unrest continue, impacting the primary healthcare provided by the system of 30 health centers supervised by DNH.
- Ability of patients to pay for medical care is limited by ongoing poverty and civil unrest.
- Hospital buildings, which have suffered from neglect during the war, have been refurbished.
Pediatric Ward & Maternity
- DNH is a 100 bed hospital providing referral services for a population of 240,000.
- A new pediatric building completed in 2016 increased the number of pediatric beds to 42 beds.
- A new maternity was completed in 2018, providing a total of 37 maternity beds and now reporting on average 60 deliveries per month. One third of the deliveries at the hospital are by caesarian section.
- This improved environment has provided for expansion of inpatient services and has sent a message of hope to our community.
- The hospital now has a new neonatal unit that can treat premature and sick newborns.
School of Nursing
- The school trains nurses to work in the hospital and in health centers in the Nundu Health Zone.
- The health centers reported 8675 deliveries in 2018. Complicated cases are referred to Deaconess Nundu Hospital. Medical and surgical cases are also referred to the hospital.
- Founded in 1998, the school continued on despite the war.
- Curriculum will be updated in 2020.
The Most Frequent Diseases
Your contributions help with patient care for those who are unable to pay. . .
Solar & Water Project Completed
Nundu had been without a reliable source of electricity and water for many years.
Your Contributions Help With...
- Pharmaceuticals and medical supplies
- The cost of patient care for those who are unable to pay (The most frequent diseases are: Malaria (35%), Anemia (32%), Diarrhea (14%), and Respiratory Infections (8%).)
- Hospital equipment
- Staff salaries
To Help Support Champions For Congo. . .
If you are interested in a specific project, you may also contact us.
Dr. Norm Wetterau will contact you personally either by return email or by phone.
You can mail contributions to:
GuideStream Charitable Gift Fund
Champions for Congo,
PO Box 580
Spring Arbor MI 49283
Champions for Congo is comprised of an all volunteer group of supporters. Assuring the maximum impact of funds to benefit the mission.
GuideStream Charitable Gift Fund provides back office support and receipts tax deductible gifts and long-term giving options for Champions for Congo. All gifts big and small are making a difference!
Please mail your tax deductible contributions to:
GuideStream Charitable Gift Fund
(Memo Line: Champions for Congo)
PO Box 580, Spring Arbor, MI 49283
GuideStream Charitable Gift Fund provides free planning to those who need to create or update their wills, estate plans or trusts. If you need assistance, please feel free to contact email@example.com Having a carefully tailored and up-to-date estate plan is so critical, and our ministry can easily walk you through what you need.